Sunday, January 22, 2012

Brick

Today a good friend and I visited an abandoned brick factory about an hour outside of the city. It was especially cold, with 6 inches of snow on the ground, but we were determined to explore. Most of the windows were covered in an aqua green plastic type shingle. When the wind would blow through the building we were in, the shingles would shake and were consequently very loud and it initially caused a moment of panic. At least for me.

002 copy

I was almost certain an animal or human was waiting to attack. :) Luckily, the only creature we saw was a stray cat.

005 copy

There were many large bags of abandoned supplies, several of which were opened and spilling out. In one area, the particles had formed crystallized looking growths.

009 copy 010 copy

020 copy

Despite being a brick factory, there weren't too many leftover bricks. They must have been stolen as there was evidence all over of previous explorers. In one room, I noticed what I thought was bullet shells on the ground. This Texan has never shot a gun, so I can only assume what bullet casings look like based on movies I have watched. Ha! There was a target taped to one of the bags as well as an empty case of beer on the other side of the room. I only hope the two were not from the same explorer.

041 copy

022 copy 031 copy

One of my favorite things about this building was all the light peaking through windows and around corners. It left a very ethereal vibe.

038 copy 039 copy

On the way home, I stopped at one of our local lookout points. I am always amazed at how beautiful our city view is from up here!

059 copy

Having grown up in a dry flat climate, I can definitely appreciate all the water and hills! To me, they are mountains no matter what the locals think.

060 copy 055 copy

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love these types of photos, and yours are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pics Rosa. You have a good eye.

    ReplyDelete